Further reading for Establishing the Infant Microbiome:
Blustein, Liu, (2015) Time to consider the risks of caesarean delivery for long term child health. British Medical Journal http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2410.
Clarke TB (2014) Microbial Programming of Systemic Innate Immunity and Resistance to Infection. PLoS Pathog 10(12): e1004506. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1004506.
Dash, S et al (2015) The gut microbiome and diet in psychiatry: focus on depression. Current Opinion in Psychiatry 8(1) p1-6.
Esparham, A.; Evans, R.G.; Wagner, L.E.; Drisko, J.A. Pediatric Integrative Medicine Approaches to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Children 2014, 1, 186-207.
Koleva, P. T. et al (2015), Microbial programming of health and disease starts during fetal life. Birth Defect Res C, 105: 265–277.
Ley, R et al.(2010) Obesity and The Gut Microbiome. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology: 26(1) p5-11.
Madan, J et al. (2012) Normal neonatal microbiome variation in relation to environmental factors, infection and allergy. Current opinions in Pediatrics 24(6) 753-759.
Peter, J. (2009) “The Effect of Diet on the Human Gut Microbiome: A Metagenomic Analysis in Humanized Gnotobiotic Mice.” Science Translational Medicine 1(6).
Plummer, Nigel. Perinatal Programming: Opportunity and Threat in the Risk of Chronic Disease. Presented at the Integrative Healthcare Symposium, Toronto 2016.
Prescott, Björkstén, (2007) Probiotics for the prevention or treatment of allergic diseases. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 120(2) pp255-262.
Saaverda, J et al “Diet rapidly and reproducibly alters the human gut microbiome” Nature. Jan 2014 559-563.
References for Early Blooming:
- Dowshen S (2015). Precocious Puberty. KidsHealth.org. Accessed 27 October 2017.
- Blondell RD, Foster MB & Dave KC (1999). Disorders of Puberty. American Family Physician. 60(1): 209-218.
- Herman-Giddens ME (2013). The Enigmatic Pursuit of Puberty in Girls. Pediatrics. 132(6): 1125-1126.
- Bellis MA, Downing J & Ashton JR (2006). Adults at 12? Trends in puberty and their public health consequences. J Epidemiol Community Health. 60, 910-911.
- Ozen S & Darcan S (2011). Effects of Environmental Endocrine Disruptors on Pubertal Development. J Clin Res Ped Endo. 3(1):1-6.
- Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors (2013). Accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.ewg.org/research/dirty-dozen-list-endocrine-disruptors#.WgZV5BNSxsO.
- Solorzano CM & McCartney CR (2010). Obesity and the pubertal transition in girls and boys. Reproduction. 140(3):399-410.
- Mendle J, Turkheimer E & Emery RE (2007). Detrimental psychological outcomes associated with early pubertal timing in adolescent girls. Dev Rev; 27(2):151-171.
References for The Culture of Birth:
- www.midirs.org/cost-canadas-midwife-shortage & www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32758470
- www.consumerreports.org/c-section/your-biggest-c-section-risk-may-be-your-hospital & www.consumerreports.org/media-room/press-releases/2016/04/consumer-reports-investigates-your-biggest-c-section-risk-may-be-which-hospital-you-go-to/
References & further reading for Keeping the Faith:
For some more interesting thoughts on raising kids with religion, or not, visit this episode of CBC’s program, “Tapestry”: www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/summer-special-the-pros-and-cons-of-raising-your-kids-with-religion-with-ali-hassan-1.4189624
To learn more about Lisa Miller’s research visit www.lisamillerphd.com
References & further reading for Beauty & Birth:
1st 1000 Days New Parent Support. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.nct.org.uk/pregnancy/hormones-pregnancy
Cunningham, F. Gary, Leveno, Kenneth J., et al (2005). Maternal Physiology in Williams Obstetrics 22nd edition (126). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
(2017). Witch Hazel for Acne. Progressive Health. Retrieved from http://www.progressivehealth.com/acne-witch-hazel.htm
Psychological Stress and Social Media Use. Pew Research Centre Internet & Technology. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/15/psychological-stress-and-social-media-use-2/
Jenks, Lisa M.D., (2017). A Realistic View of Melasma. Skin Inc. Retreived from http://www.skininc.com/treatments/facial/brightening/A-Realistic-View-of-Melasma-410555825.html
(2015). Your post-baby belly: why it's changed and how to tone it. Baby Centre. Retrieved from https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1052298/your-post-baby-belly-why-its-changed-and-how-to-tone-it#ixzz50zwG5bLa
References for An Eco-Bedroom Oasis:
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070627183117 & www.spec.bc.ca/about/downloads/SpectrumVol26_No_1.pdf