Spiced Apple Mini Muffins
These Spiced Apple Mini Muffins are gluten- and dairy-free and perfect for a baby ready for Stage 3 (usually around 9+ months) solid food. They’re full of flavourful spices to encourage your child to develop their palate, omega-3s and protein from the flaxseed and almond ingredients, and a baby-fave: apples! Your little muffin will love them and you will too!
- 2 c almond flour
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs (or try using flax seeds for a vegan version)
- 1 c almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 c apple, peeled and chopped into very fine pieces.
Flax seed substitute
In place of one egg, mix one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with three tablespoons of water until the water is absorbed and the mixture is thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease and line a mini muffin tin with paper liners
Note: You will definitely want to use liners for these as the batter can be very sticky and very challenging to remove from the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, flaxseed, baking soda and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently fold together with a spatula until combined.
- Fold in the apple.
- Spoon batter halfway up liners
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins are set.
Muffins can be stored at room temperature up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Tip: when reheating it is easiest to free the muffins from their liners while still frozen!