Orange & Elecampane Herbal Bitters*
A delicious and healing herbal bitters, the orange blends well with the pungent bitterness of the elecampane root while the ginger and pepper give it a little spice. Adjust spice levels with preference.
Orange & Elecampane Herbal Bitters
- 20 g elecampane root (dried or fresh)
- 10 g roasted dandelion root (dried or fresh)
- 10 g ginger root, minced
- 5 g licorice root
- 3 cloves
- 3 g cracked black pepper
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 1 vanilla bean pod, finely minced
- brandy or vodka
- Place ingredients into a 1L glass jar. Fill with brandy or vodka, leaving a 1-inch space at the top. Screw on lid, then shake well.
- Store on counter and shake occasionally. Taste every few days until the desired flavour is reached (usually somewhere between 2-4 weeks). Strain and decant into clean 1L glass jar. Will keep indefinitely.
Adults: ½-1 tsp Children: ¼ tsp | Take as is or diluted in a small glass of water. Can be taken before meals.
Caution: Occasional allergic reactions—those with known sensitivity to the asteraceae family may be most susceptible. As always, speak to your healthcare provider or herbalist before trying a new herb to make sure that it’s right for you and your specific concerns.